Imagine aerial capital ship battles over the deserts of Mars. 2 teams of massive, floating ships, lumbering toward each other in one massive clash. Plasma shots land and explode across hulls. Damaged ships begin to list and sink, losing control. A heavily damaged ship blinks behind its allies. Shields go up. The battle rages on!
After several prototypes, this is my first finished ship for a custom game I call Project Starship! There were several things I had in mind when creating this ship.
1. I wanted it to be massive. It's supposed to be a capital spaceship, so it has to look like one. It's 4670cpu, a good size for the first ship, and I plan to make larger ships. There are no TX cubes. They would make it lighter, which might be good, but also smaller which is I don't want. Regular cubes also give more health boost which ties into my second point.
2. I wanted the time to kill to be long. I used to watch Stargate Atlantis and loved the capital ship battles on that show. They don't blow up from a few hits, they fight on and on and can take lots of damage. So with my ship I've used only cubes to give it as much health boost as possible. I've also used only Uncommon plasma guns.
3. I wanted it to feel like a massive spaceship. There are no wings in this ship. It operates completely on helium and thrusters pointing in every direction. And when you fly it, it really does feel like something massive :D
4. I wanted fighting to require some skill. It has only Uncommon plasma guns for several reasons. One is that I think they require the most skill in aerial battles. Another I mentioned is that Uncommon weapons increase TTK. And aesthetically, plasma shots look cooler when they hit than lasers. Plasma gives a big explosion effect which is just gonna look cooler in this massive ship battle.
5. I wanted it to have capital ship abilities. You've all probably seen plenty of movies and TV shows with big spaceships. They raise shields, go to warp, cloak etc. so I wanted to make sure this had a few modules in it. Basically I think people can change out the modules to whatever they like, but for this one I went with the blink and shield modules.
As far as gameplay, I think team elimination play would be great for this, but it's really up to the people playing. If anyone wants to give it a try, I'd ask they just don't change the ship except modules or cosmetics. Maybe it's just me, but I like a match with 2 completely equal teams, so if one player sticks a massive sniper gun on top of the ship then that will just piss everyone off.
Also, I hope other people would try to make some ships like this. I'll buy yours too for custom games :D
Any ideas or suggestions? I could use some ideas as I try to make a second, larger ship :)